Using public transport
Using public transport
There are a number of ways to plan your trip, look up times or check for travel alerts online.
To pay your fare on Newcastle Transport you need an Opal card or Opal single ticket. Find out more about Opal cards and fares.
Information is displayed at bus stops confirming location, route numbers, route direction and bus departure times. When you see the bus, hail the driver by putting your hand out and clearly signalling the bus.
You can also contact the Transport Information line on 131 500 to talk to someone or visit the Newcastle Transport Hub to speak to a customer service officer in person.
Our customer service officers often travel on the network and will be pleased to help you.
Being courteous makes using public transport more enjoyable for everyone
When travelling with Newcastle Transport, we thank you for following these simple tips:
- Offer your seat to someone who needs it more than you. This includes people who are older, who have a disability or impaired mobility, who are pregnant or travelling with children.
- Make room for people getting on or off.
- Do not block the doors or aisles with prams, bags or bikes and boards.
- Do not take up more than one seat when others are standing.
- Do not put your feet on the seats.
- Use headphones with mobile devices and keep the volume down.
- Speak quietly when on the phone.
- Put your rubbish in the bin.
- Cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze.
- Threatening, offensive or unsafe behaviours are not tolerated and fines may apply.
For more information on travel offences and when fines apply, visit transportnsw.info.
Traveling with animals and pets
Approved assistance animals are allowed on Newcastle Transport.
Pets may be allowed to travel on buses, ferries if confined in a box, basket or other container as required by the NSW Passenger Transport Act and regulations. However, permission is still required by staff or the bus driver.
Guide, hearing, police and security dogs do not require a permit
When boarding public transport with a pet or other animal, please be aware that:
- The animal must be restrained in a suitable box, basket or other container at all times while on board.
- The driver or crew may refuse to allow the animal if the service is reaching capacity.
- Animals that are not clean, appear vicious or likely to annoy, threaten or inconvenience other customers will not be allowed.
- Animals are not allowed on seats and must not obstruct passageways.
- You should keep your animal away from other travelling animals to ensure the safety and comfort of other customers and pets
On ferries, animals should not travel in the enclosed ferry cabin areas, unless the vessel does not have an outdoor area or it is unavailable.